Pictures taken Sunday, April 22, 2018.
What a wonderful season...and still going. The Kiosk and Lodge are now closed but many people are still skiing on more than a foot of base snow. This weeks twenty plus degree temperatures may erode the base but the main trails are still surprising firm from being groomed so many times by the Big Cat. Skiing in April is definitely a novelty so get out there if you can...not many people can say they have skied in late April anywhere in the whole country of Canada.
A short message from your KNC Executive.
What a season we have had!!!! With our first major snow in early November and no major thaws through the winter, we have been able to groom trails and offer great ski conditions to our members for a record 5 1/2 months! Officially we are closed for the season as of yesterday and the kiosk and lodge will be locked. We will however, keep the waxing hut open for awhile longer as, believe it or not, some people are still skiing!!!! Those with equipment in lockers may want to retrieve gear as we do not cover theft/loss for any reason.
Thank you to
- our staff (groomers and kiosk attendants) for your dedicated, competent and cheerful assistance
- our many volunteers who help with leadership, coaching, management, cutting/hauling firewood, grant writing, races, evening kiosk operations etc. etc. etc.
- our members who make it all possible. Again this year we have broken our record with over 1200 members which means we are one of the largest Nordic Clubs in B.C.
This summer/fall you can expect to see some on-going work happening including
- completion of trail work started last Fall including signage updates
- possibly construction of a new timing shed
- renovation of the kiosk building to accommodate the rental skis we have purchased.
- general maintenance to existing buildings and equipment
A major challenge at the forefront this year was Parking!!! We will continue to work with the City of Kimberley to try to come up with some longer term solutions. Please support us by voicing/writing your ideas/concerns to the City directly!
If you have any expertise with grant writing, we need your help! please let us know if you are some time for this.
Have a great Summer..... see you in the Fall hopefully at our AGM!!!!
Respectfully from your KNC Executive.
Kimberley Nordic has had the longest season of any cross country ski area in all of the East Kootenays for several years running now. Great place to live, great place to ski.
Have a great summer everyone...biking is almost here...and keep your fingers crossed for another fabulous ski year next year.
The weather station and Web Cam will be turned off over the summer months and the Lodge is available for rent of course. KNC has many events hosted at our club over the summer. This year the web site will do it's best to keep you updated on activities over the summer.
Round the Mountain, Sunday, June 24th, 2018 coming up.
Thanks for the great season...